[Lazarus] New user interface for future major releases of Lazarus

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Tue Dec 4 09:40:30 CET 2012

On Tue, 4 Dec 2012, Felipe Ferreira da Silva wrote:

>        I would like to propose and discuss about a new graphical user
> interface for the next major releases. Nowadays, most of the RAD tools use a
> docked interface(MonoDevelop, Delphi, VS), and in some cases they are
> stylish(like the recent Visual Studio versions). I think that a
> better-looking IDE would not just make the programming task more pleasant,
> but also could attract more people to Pascal.
>
>        I know about the existence of AnchorDocking package for a docked IDE,
> but I think that if such feature were built-in, the IDE could be improved
> with appropriated features for a docked app - and since the forms would be
> still undockable, the user could switch back to the "Delphi7-like" interface.
>
>        My propose is ask if you guys would mind if I work on some projects
> with a different interface and made in Lazarus(of course) to you evaluate.
> I'm good at create components and customize to give them a stylish appearance
> like in the case of VS. But I would like to know from you guys first.

As long as you can completely undo it, I don't see why not.

Not everyone is comfortable with the so-called docked interface.
Tastes in what is considered a 'modern gui' change every so-and-so years.
It's not because an interface has been around for a while that it is less
good.

I work with Delphi XE, and reverted completely to the D7 look, including
the 'old' component palette. Even my windows 7 has the 'classic' look.

Michael.