[Lazarus] New user interface for future major releases of Lazarus

Massimo Soricetti notturno at quipo.it
Tue Dec 4 11:23:12 CET 2012

Il 04/12/2012 06:59, Felipe Ferreira da Silva ha scritto:
>         My propose is ask if you guys would mind if I work on some
> projects with a different interface and made in Lazarus(of course) to
> you evaluate. I'm good at create components and customize to give them
> a stylish appearance like in the case of VS. But I would like to know
> from you guys first.

I use Lazarus every now and then, generally I work on Eclipse or Visual
Studio.

FYI, I deeply hate the "stylish" VS 2010 interface, because:
1) it hides and/or changes position to many things I use
2) eats up too much screen surface (same for Eclipse, I work on
1650x1050 display)

Generally speaking, I think that programs like Lazarus (complex, lots
and lots of commands & options) need much work on usability and
consistency, i.e. rationale under menu & dialog structure must be always
the same, use same names for same things in every place and such.
Preferences in Lazarus are particularly messy, probably because there
are ten thousand of them :-D

Things like dockable windows, skins or other bells & whistles are not
really important to me, and probably to many developers. I never tried
if Laz supports multi-monitor displays, but that would be a really nice
feature.
Configurable menus would be even nicer: the ability to put first what
you do really use a lot would be invaluable.

OK stop ranting :-)