[Lazarus] New user interface for future major releases of Lazarus

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Wed Dec 5 19:28:43 CET 2012

Martin Schreiber schrieb:

> May I recommend a third solution than fully docked/undocked? MSEide has
> a menu item 'View'-'Panels'-'New Panel' which creates a new empty dock
> container where tool windows and other panels can be placed. So one can
> create groups of windows which can be layered or tabbed, please see the
> screenshots on Sourceforge.

This is how a dockable IDE should work, implemented e.g. in EasyDocking.
Delphi implements just this docking model, without the neeed for
dedicated dock sites (panels).

The Delphi terminology is misleading here, suggesting that the classic
Undocked layout stands in contrast to the docked (monolithic) layout.
"Undocked" IMO should be understood as "not everything docked into one
big window", not as "without docking capabilities".

As I see it, Lazarus comes with these really different docking models:
- not dockable at all (default)
- dockable by glueing windows together (anchor docking)
- dockable into containers (Delphi compatible)

The last model is what you and I have in mind, and it should be fully
supported by Lazarus.

DoDi