[Lazarus] building with lazbuild and build dependecies

Bernd prof7bit at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 4 16:50:44 CET 2012

Hi,

If I have a small project that uses the LCL (and SynEdit) and a small
makefile to build this project which consisting of not much more than
a call to lazbuild then is it ok to write in the instructions that in
order to build it from source on an ubuntu system one simply has to
apt-get install lcl which in turn would pull all other needed things?

I have browsed through the package repositories and the dependencies
and it seems that

lcl will pull lcl-units (which also contains SynEdit) and lcl-utils
(which contains lazbuild)
lcl-utils will pull fp-compiler
fp-compiler will contain/pull all other needed rtl/fcl units

so a simple apt-get install lcl should theoretically satisfy all build
dependencies for a normal lcl project without needing to install the
full IDE and all sources, is this correct? I cannot test it myself
because I don't have a recent ubuntu (and not enough free HD space to
set up a VM right now)

And one more question: How does it determine which lcl backend to
install if the user has both GTK2 *and* Qt libraries installed on his
system, how will the "or" in the dependencies of lcl-units
automatically be resolved?

Bernd