[Lazarus] Extending FCL documentation

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 12:25:03 CET 2012

On 8 February 2012 11:54, Hans-Peter Diettrich  wrote:

> I've no problems with the IDE help system, except for its setup.

So you can bookmark help topics, search for topics and annotate
existing help? Umm, how did I miss that in Lazarus.

>>  * FPDoc Editor is NOT a help viewer. It should not be used or thought
>> of as such.
>
> I used it frequently, to fix errors or add missing facts to the docs :-)

Yes, after all, it is a XML documentation editor.

> What's wrong with this approach? It shows (raw) help both from source code
> and the docs, and it's instantly up-to-date after any change to the docs or
> code. I like it :-)

I can't bookmark a frequently used topic, or add my own personal notes
to that help and see it in the tooltip. As I mentioned before, I
annotate existing documentation a lot. - my personal notes that mean a
lot to me (and probably mean nothing to somebody else, so should
belong in the official docs).

> BTW, I'd *require* that every new feature in the Lazarus (IDE, LCL) code has
> to be documented, before it finds its way into the repository.

And here we come full circle!  In which format should we document
these features?  XML, IPF, TXT, RTF, ODT, AsciiDoc, DocBook, Wiki
etc....?  And are these features related to the LCL framework, Lazarus
IDE itself, or many of the utility apps included in the Lazarus
repository - thus it might dictate which help format must be used....
class documentation or general application or README help.

  - Graeme -