[Lazarus] Extending FCL documentation

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 15:49:41 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> So does that mean the Lazarus Team has finally made a decision on what
> help format and viewer to officially use with Lazarus? Thus using CHM
> help as the default help format for Lazarus IDE and Lazarus LCL, and
> LHelp as the viewer?

That depends on what developers will say and if this idea will achieve
a majority among core developers, but to me it looks a good path.
Alternatives are welcome, but so far I don't see any alternative to
put offline help in our RPM/DEB packages.

> Maybe an official email stating that users should stop adding help to
> the Wiki

The wiki and the offline help complement themselves and should link to
each other.

> and rather start editing the "raw" CHM help content. Sorry
> for my ignorance, but like you have *.tex files for LaTeX, xml for
> fpdoc, *.ipf for INF help.... what is the documentation source files
> for CHM?

All of our offline help is in XML files for fpdoc.

To build CHM from them is trivial, just do this:

cd lazarus/docs/html
./build_chm.sh

Now build HTML offline help:

cd lazarus/docs/html
./build_lcl_html.sh

It would be great if someone contributes such a script which generates
LCL help in INF format.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho