[Lazarus] Fast drawing to canvas

Darius Blaszyk dhkblaszyk at zeelandnet.nl
Thu Feb 9 01:52:21 CET 2012

Despite all the advices, none of the suggestions of drawing on a TPaintBox or creating a TCustomControl actually speed up the painting significantly. Therefore I did some profiling. It appears that loading a 40kb png file (50% HD) from a stream takes about 60msec another 30msec is used to paint the bitmap to screen. It all results in approx. 11fps which is actually pretty poor when you imagine a full HD loop will make the rate drop 2.5fps.

As I see it now, I will need to lower the access time to the png's from disk. I will do a test with storing only raw pixel data instead. This means that there will be no conversion (or decompression in the case of PNG) when streaming from disk. However, although the minor part of the total loop, I was hoping to improve the painting speed significantly as well. Hopefully someone else has an idea that works.
Is there a way to access even lower level functions from LCL? Like GDI and GTK2 functions to copy the pixel data as fast as possible?

Appreciate the help from everybody so far.

Regards, Darius