[Lazarus] fpdoc + XML description file + indentation whitespace

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Thu Feb 9 13:11:56 CET 2012

Reinier Olislagers <reinierolislagers at gmail.com> hat am 9. Februar 2012 um
12:35 geschrieben:

> On 9-2-2012 12:18, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>[...] > On 9 February 2012 09:23, Hans-Peter Diettrich  wrote:
> >> A simple modification could help:
> >> Let all preformatted text start on a new line, not directly after
<pre> or
> >> <code>. The document generators can remove that additional line
ending, if
> >> required.
> > I think that is wrong!  Maybe the help author wanted (or didn't want)
> > a blank line to be the first line. Also doing what you say means that
> > fpdoc must be modified because of FPDoc Editor? So what happens if we
> > use another xml editor - modify fpdoc yet again?
>
> I agree with Graeme, but even more with Mattias' earlier post.
> As Mattias mentioned, apparently the XML standard says that whitespace
> can be ignored.
>
> I suggest that we follow Mattias' advice and find a way to preserve
> whitespace the author wants displayed in the output while being XML
> compliant.
>
> Example of xml:space="preserve":
>
> > I say abandon indentation of fpdoc XML files completely!
> That might be a solution but would not be very robust if some
> tool/author takes it upon himself (or erroneously introduces) whitespace
> again.
>
> Also, it would not be clear that the FPDoc formats depends on whitespace
> for its output, and would thus contravene XML standards, and hinder use
> of tools that can work with standard XML to import/export FPDoc files.

See Michael's answer: Only "code" and "pre" should preserve whitespace.
Anything more is a nice to have.
This means after a small xml definition you can use any decent xml editor
to edit fpdoc files. There are several ways to define this in xml. I have
to look it up.

I will improve the fpdoc editor to preserve more white spaces and to add
the preserve definition.

And someone has to fix the output formats txt and man.

Mattias