[Lazarus] fpdoc + XML description file + indentation whitespace

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Thu Feb 9 13:34:15 CET 2012

Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> hat am 9. Februar 2012 um 13:16
geschrieben:

> On 9 February 2012 13:35, Reinier Olislagers  wrote:
> >
> > I agree with Graeme, but even more with Mattias' earlier post.
> > As Mattias mentioned, apparently the XML standard says that whitespace
> > can be ignored.
>
> I don't know the XML standards that well....  Does that whitespace
> rule apply to the Content / Data between XML tags too, or just the
> placement of XML tags in the file?

The white space inside the tags, e.g. <a href=""> is not part of the data
and always ignored.
The discussion is only about the space in the data. That means outside the
tags.

> I would image in only applies to the placement of XML tags - not the
> data. And in this case the data is affected by FPDoc Editor's
> indentation too.

Again:
Each format can define it. But it is typical to ignore data that contains
only white space. For instance it is typical that the following has the
same meaning:

<short>
  <var>
  </var>
</short>

As soon as the data contains one non white space character every character
counts. The following is not the same:

<var>
</var>

<var>a</var>

Note: HTML treats multiple white space as one. But this is not typical for
xml.

Mattias