[Lazarus] Adding Notes in FPDoc

Howard Page-Clark hdpc at talktalk.net
Sat Feb 11 19:27:03 CET 2012

>>> Within the <notes> tag, you can include one or more <note> tags.
>>
>> Why so complicated? Can you give a *reasonable* example of the
>> intended usage of this feature?
>
> Yes. User notes on a website. This website has been in the pipeline for
> a long time.

The prospect of a website dedicated to discussion of documentation seems
to me to be a helpful move forward. This mailing list is not well suited
to detailed discussions of the numerous issues 'documentation' and
'help' raise, and use of it for that creates a lot of noise that some
find irritating.
Nevertheless it is one of the major bullets to be bitten before Lazarus
can consider getting to the 1.0 stage, and so having an interactive
arena dedicated to it would be excellent, and I hope would move Lazarus
docs further towards the goal of being adequate if not good or excellent.
FPC documentation has the advantage of being overseen by a single person
who has the ability not only to produce and maintain the tools needed to
write the documentation, but is punctilious in writing the docs and
keeping shiny new code (however good) out of the FCL until it is
properly documented. Someone who has poured countless hours into writing
and correcting the existing docs - making that a priority - alongside
writing much of the original code. Someone who is also good at
collaborating with other core developers. Also FPC  does not need to
document or provide help for a complex IDE that is growing in features
all the time.
I think the Lazarus team lacks an equivalent core person who combines
coding expertise with the organisational, administrative and English/XML
writing skills (and available time to marshal all the
information/databases/people/wikis and so on) needed to produce good
quality documentation, and good quality help. This is not to knock
anyone - goodness knows, each does his best - but simply to point out
what is true for so many open source collaborative efforts: you have to
work with the people who offer and stay engaged for more than just the
short term, and who make the time to contribute enough to make their
contribution significant.
I hope that a new website might help us bring together the best of what
is in the current wiki and has been written over the years in these
mailing lists and the already published Lazarus book. A consolidation
and editing exercise is needed (in addition to documenting the hitherto
undocumented parts of the LCL), and I believe there are several people,
myself included, who are ready to help with this task who have not done
much towards it so far beyond tidying up the worst bits we stumble over
in the wiki.