[Lazarus] Adding Notes in FPDoc

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Feb 11 20:35:40 CET 2012

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012, Howard Page-Clark wrote:

>>> Why so complicated? Can you give a *reasonable* example of the
>>> intended usage of this feature?
>>
>> Yes. User notes on a website. This website has been in the pipeline for
>> a long time.
>
> The prospect of a website dedicated to discussion of documentation seems to
> me to be a helpful move forward.

It's not really about discussion (fed up with that, if you can believe it ;) ),
but about showing and collaborative editing of the docs.

The idea was/is the following:

* All nodes of an FPDoc description file can be put in a database;
   One record per element/module/whatnot, fields for short/descr/seealso and whatnot elements.
   I have the structure floating around here somewhere.

* FPDoc needs (or already has, don't remember?) a mode to generate a single HTML page,
   based on node name.

* The website can use the fpdoc engine to fetch and display the HTML 'on-demand'.

* For people with enough rights, the content can be edited.

* When creating the full docs, the XML is read from the database and written to an FPDoc file.

In fact, not so different from a WIKI, but more structured.

And now:
Since we now have notes, these can be displayed, and edited by all.

Michael.