[Lazarus] IDE Main Window: height is too small and cannot resize (Linux/GTK2)

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Mon Feb 13 11:34:25 CET 2012

Mark Morgan Lloyd schrieb:

> If I understand the issue correctly, GUI programming was originally
> defined in terms of a predefined form size containing vector-drawn
> components: there might be issues with jaggies or imprecise positioning
> due to numeric rounding but in general content could be scaled to fit
> its container.

Scalable layouts can be handled in different ways. E.g. Java prefers
layout managers, MS prefers twips (bound to text resolution), Delphi
choose pixel coordinates and overall scaling of forms, and Lazarus
AnchorDocking and ChildSizing goes even more different routes.

The problem in the subject is a different one: there exists *no* way to
specify the extent of the *content* (client) part of a window, and let
the window manager adjust the *overall* size of the window accordingly,
depending on border and caption styles. No problem for Delphi, but the
LCL doesn't support that yet :-(

DoDi