[Lazarus] installing chm help

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Wed Feb 15 13:17:50 CET 2012

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012, waldo kitty wrote:

> On 2/14/2012 14:40, Sven Barth wrote:
>> On 14.02.2012 19:33, waldo kitty wrote:
>>> so why isn't this working??? what is the key step that has been left out
>>> of the instructions??
>>
>> What about trying not a keyword? What about things like "FileExists",
>> "TProcess", "TForm" (if the correct units are included of course).
>
> also basic things like 'writeln', 'write', and similar do not give any
> help... but then some stuff, like 'integer' popup with a "Help selector"
> window as mentioned above and one of the two RTL (ahh! found a RTL[] hit)
> options (objpas.pp) talks about "redefinition of integer as 32-bit type"
> whereas the other one (systemh.inc) says "a signed 16-bits integer"...
>
> so which one is correct?
>
> why are both being shown to me?
>
> why does basic stuff, eg: 'write' and 'writeln' not have any help at all?

Where do you get that from ? It is documented.

See

http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/system/index-5.html

Select 'Writeln'

Which leads you to

http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/system/writeln.html

etc.

> where is the help for items like 'PadRight', 'AddChar', 'PadLeft', 'AddCharR'
> and similar??

http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/strutils/index-5.html

Of course, you need to know in which unit an identifier is.

To overcome this problem, a search engine for the docs is in the making.
(in fact, it's finished, we just need to deploy it properly)

Michael.