[Lazarus] Anchoring buttons (or other graphical elements)

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Thu Feb 16 17:28:15 CET 2012

Mattias Gaertner schrieb:
 >> And second that was my experience too. But I just tried it again on a
 >> fresh project and now suddenly vertical alignment behave the same! This
 >> "eratic" (unpredictable, at least to me) behaviour was the reason I
 >> wanted to look into the documentation but it did not make it clearer
but
 >> more obscure. It seems I have to invest much more time into this than I
 >> wanted...
 > There is only one difference between vertical and horizontal and that
 > is Delphi compatible: Align applies alTop and alBottom before alLeft
 > and alRight.

I just remember the situation that made me wonder about the alignment
algorithm:

If I align the *top* of an element B to the *top* of another element A
then any margin defined in A is ignored. Only the margin values for B
are valid. This looks quite inconsistent to me. To what will B be
aligned? To the border of the element or to the border plus margin? When
I change the alignment so that the top of B is aligned to the *bottom*
of A then suddenly the (bottom) margins of A are take into account. That
drove me nuts the first time because the alignment editor only shows me
the margin values of the element I wanted to align but I never thought
that margins of the other element play any role here. And it seems that
for *some* cases this is true but for others it is not.