[Lazarus] Editor File Manager in Windows menu

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 14:56:55 CET 2012

2012/2/17, Martin <lazarus at mfriebe.de>:

I am happy you answered, Martin. I wanted to ask you about saving files.
If you look at the source, there is
  SrcEdit: TSourceEditor;
I can do
  SrcEdit.Activate;
which is very intuitive. I can also do:
  SrcEdit.SourceNotebook.CloseFile(SrcEdit.PageIndex);
which is ok, too. But I cannot do:
  SrcEdit.Save;
or anything similar.
So the question is how to save the files?

> Sorting would be nice. By either file or full name. Often I know in
> which directory a file is, so if they were sorted....

Can be done.

> Maybe multiply  columns: folder / file / which window(s) / tab-index ...

It should use TListView then. It can be done but requires lots of changes.
The checkboxes must be dumped and selections used instead.
I don't have a FilterEdit control for TListView yet although it can be
implemented. The filter is a very nice thing to have with any GUI
container.
It means I will not implement columns very soon but maybe later, yes.

> Maybe allow to specify the sort order for the menu too.

Do you mean changing the editor tab order from the manager window? I
am planning to do it.
Maybe I have ask you again about how to do it best using the editor interface.

> Why is it modal?

Because a modeless window would require lots of synchronizing between
other parts of Lazarus. Editor windows can be opened, closed, renamed
and modified in many ways.
If there is a good notification API for it, please tell me.

The manager window is very useful even when it is modal.

I took a similar challenge when I changed the TabOrder dialog from
modal to modeless some time ago. It required lots of synchronization
with the form designer. The notification mechanism was already there
so it was not very hard after all.

Juha