[Lazarus] I made a visualization of the Lazarus SVN repository

Bernd prof7bit at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 18 18:52:37 CET 2012

2012/2/18 Juha Manninen <juha.manninen62 at gmail.com>:
> Bernd, do you maintain the package?
> The patch feature works well but its GUI is little broken.
> 1. the ListView always shows a HourGlass cursor.
> 2. What are the 2 text controls up there, a Combobox and a Memo? Both
> are empty and have no hints or titles about their meaning. If I type
> something the the Combobox, I get a "List Index out of Bounds" error.
> 3. I got memory leaks sometimes (not always) from the "Show Log" feature.
> It is a good idea to use -gh always when developing.

I don't maintain it, I only made a few patches for it because it seems
nobody else did anything in it for a very long time and I missed some
features, so I quickly implemented them myself, but you are right, it
still needs much more work. Are you using the stable 0.9.30 version or
svn trunk? I recently fixed some memory leaks (the original version
was only hidding some forms instead of closing them, kept pointers
around to some of these hidden forms to show them again, sometimes
provoking crashes, parts of it were/are pretty confusing. I tried to
fix some of the issues and it became a lot better but I did not have
enough time to find them all)

I cannot currently look at the problem you mentioned about the combo
box because my PC is currently busy doing the animation (I cannot
minimize the OpenGL window now or move any window in front of it
because that would cause corruption and many hours time wasted) but I
promise I look at it soon.

> IMO the "Patch" feature should have its own entry in the menu.
> "Commit" term is associated with SVN commits. I didn't understand to
> look for it there.

I put the patch button onto the commit form because it shares the same
work flow until the very last moment when you actually decide whether
to commit to the server or to a patch file. Maybe it should be
mentioned in the menu item: "Commit / create patch" instead of only
"Commit"

> No problem.
> I am curious, how long does gource take to generate such animation? It
> uses some advanced auto-layout algorithm for the node placement, bloom
> effects and such details.
> I could imagine it needs some processing power.

Almost all processing power is used by ffmpeg for encoding the movie,
this takes many hours on my rather old hardware. Gource itself is
pretty fast and can generate it in real time with high frame rates.

Bernd