[Lazarus] Looking for a general text editor

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sun Feb 19 15:07:35 CET 2012

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 14:36:14 +0100
Bart <bartjunk64 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/19/12, Mattias Gaertner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:
> > On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 12:53:24 +0100
>
> > That's why you should do svn update before creating the patch.
>
> OK, consider me stupid.
> I update before trying to fix.
> Since I do that on my spare time, this may take several weeks, fixing
> things step by step.
> Then my copy of the files in question is out of date.

svn tries to merge changes. It needs only help if two persons
have worked on the same lines.

> Now I have to update again and somehow resolve the conflicts.

Yes, svn update asks on conflicts what to do.

> Reading the "manual" still leaves me confused on that.

Maybe you can help to improve the svn plugin for the IDE.

> Preferably I would like to end up with a file in which alterations
> made (not by me) are somehow marked in that file, so I can easily
> detect them and see if they interfere with my patch.

Well, you could use two repositories. Work in one, create a patch from
that. Update the other. Apply the patch. Conflicts are saved to rej
files.

> > The one has to apply your patch to the head revision.
>
> Exactly, I leave the things I do not understand to someone who does.
>
> Is there some experimentation room available to practice the do's and
> don'nt's of commiting via svn (or git, or yet another tool)?

What about the many svn tutorials?

Mattias