[Lazarus] Lazarus and FPC teams need direction for marketing/promotion

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Sat Feb 25 19:50:58 CET 2012

Andrew Brunner wrote:
> I honestly think this conversation would be better served asking questions like
>
> How can Lazarus get noticed more?
> How can Lazarus get more exposure/adoption?
> How can Lazarus get industry sponsorship?
> How can Lazarus get educational institutions to explore development
> using Lazarus/FPC?
>
> IMO, a larger percentage of the development space is something that
> can be attained.  Support for alternative operating systems like linux
> and offer a break from Microsoft (namely via Ubuntu) should be a
> marketing sweet spot.

Which I think is one reason why a potential port of FPC onto the IBM
mainframe architecture is interesting. As I understand it, C is far less
popular in that environment and there is a fair amount of legacy Pascal
code: providing a mature development environment which would allow
projects to move in both directions could be popular.

> Library support for hot topic Information Technologies.  FPC/Lazarus
> must follow trends and include components.  A broad range of component
> support is essential.
>
> Example: Social is trendy so FPC/Lazarus should come with components
> to interface with Craigslist / Facebook / Twitter / Google .  Access
> requires http or https requests so openssl would need to be more fully
> developed.

But one problem there is that by the time the component has been
written/documented/marketed today's hot topic is very much yesterday's.
What's more, if the owner of the service expects people to use it via
HTML or Flash, and anybody doing a mashup is used to doing that type of
job PHP/Perl/Python, then an attempt to muscle in could be met with
hostility.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk