[Lazarus] Why the Java became so strong?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Sun Feb 26 09:31:52 CET 2012

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> 4 Hours later we had a
> working product that did everything we required! Another hour later,
> the database was loaded with all our existing bug reports, feature
> requests, attachments like images, sound clips etc.
>
> I would love to see somebody else do similar with other languages.

Frankly, I think that sort of thing could be done with any of the
classic "4GLs"- in effect, application-specific BASICs.

Object Pascal differs in two ways: first in that it's got a
well-thought-out underlying language, which despite continued
enhancement is still somewhat regular, and second in that it's arguably
complete enough that it can be used as a system programming language. My
own experience indicates that as soon as you start using a 4GL or
similar for anything that the implementors didn't think of you're in
very deep water.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk