[Lazarus] Why the Java became so strong?

Rigel Rigel rigel at gbg.bg
Mon Feb 27 12:49:14 CET 2012

 What is the main reason that Java / C + + is better known than Lazarus / FPC?

INTERNET. For Example even Microsoft in his great years can't beat Internet! If you remember the advertising of one of the version of Windows was: "The Internet looks like Windows!" They understood that it is not so. The next version of the advertising was: "Windows looks like Internet!"

What include in Internet?

Web Programing. I know only one web sait written in Lazarus: www.lazarussupport.com. But when I go to the forum it is not written in Pascal! Can a programmer with Web languages make a desktop applications? Yes! Maybe not so good and quick like with Lazarus but the programmer have Internet... So why the programmer must learning another programing language?

Interten applications like below was writen on C/C++/Java, php... No one of they was writen on Pascal.

Browsers
Forums maker - like phpBB
DB

Another is:
Office Aplication

Antivirus software - if someone can convert MoonSecure from Delphi to Lazarus will be a great demo of capabilities of Lazarus/Pascal.
 Another thing are the mobile phones. Lazarus can not be used directly for mobile phones.

Graeme wrote: "Use the right tool for the job." Unfortunately, Lazarus made alone ​​mainly Desktop applications. But this is a very small part of the market! For the above marketing purposes it partially use other languages. Even Lazarus use qt, gtk..., which are not written on Pascal. So why the programmer learn Pascal and another language when the programmer may do what he/she want for Internet, mobile devices, desktop applications with this another language?

Please do not get me wrong. I really like Lazarus / FPC very much. Lazarus / FPC teams do a great job. But while the marketing objectives are so limited, there is very little chance of Lazarus to gain greater prominence. This was a very big mistake of Borland and we know what they do with Pascal.

Sorry for my bad English!