[Lazarus] Why the Java became so strong?

Lukasz Sokol el.es.cr at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 15:12:43 CET 2012

On 25/02/2012 21:51, Frank Church wrote:
[...]
> You have Delphi to blame here, because somehow Borland's marketing of
> Delphi deemphasized the Pascal dimension of Delphi with the effect
> that most people don't identify Pascal with Delphi. The terms FPC and
> Lazarus don't give any indication that Pascal is the language.
> Somehow FPC should some how get itself identified with Pascal in the
> mind of people and Lazarus must be identified as the definitive
> Pascal IDE at the very least if not in the Windows world very much so
> in the Unix/Linux world. Most the languages mentioned above are
> strongly identified with Linux and the web and are 'cool' whereas
> Pascal are not. Being a language that has to be compiled language is
> also a downer

I had my first lick of (Turbo) Pascal on an ancient 286 (!) some time between 1996-7,
on an ancient 286 machine ...
C looked extremely complicated then (and when you read a manual for
Atari C compiler your hair would stand up and stay there...) and still a pain :)

But I have heard/read opinions of people that think Pascal is a toy language, and
they date to way way before Borland :(

So to recap - yes Borland probably is to blame but not for the reason you wrote,
rather for /not/ trying to reverse the old opinions, but trying to detour around
them, badly...

L.