[Lazarus] What is the most widely used Pascal on Linux and other Unix variants?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Mon Feb 27 21:02:07 CET 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 02:53:21PM +0100, Sven Barth wrote:
> > http://rpmfind.net/
> >
> > Found 157 RPM for fpc
> >
> > Found 3 RPM for gpc (all of them in very old Mandriva versions)
> >
> > You can't even find GPC packages in newer distributions.
> >
> > See also:
> >
> > http://pkgs.org/search/?keyword=gpc
> >
> > Appears in Ubuntu 10. Disappeared from Ubuntu 11
>
> Also according to the GNU Pascal site it seems to only support GCC <4
> with the last release being from 2006. I can't tell how valid this
> observations are (I didn't find a source repository by quickly looking),
> so please handle with care.

While GPC is not very active atm, and a case could be made that it is dead,
these kinds of statistics are not very comparable.

This because GPC has a totally different release and development model
(read: none since 2.1), and nearly all builds are independent build of
target-maintainers, that often also keep own source trees, and mutually
absorb patches.

It is very difficult to compare this with FPC, that actively pushes
distribution specific releases (deb, rpm, freebsd ports).