[Lazarus] Can't compile trunk with fpc 2.4.5 under ubuntu

Martin Schreiber mse00000 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 21:51:41 CET 2012

On Monday 27 February 2012 20:32:29 Marco van de Voort wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 12:48:29PM +0100, Martin Schreiber wrote:
> > > I'll study if the normal tbookmark can change to tbytes short term. If
> > > not, I'll add the bookmarkstr as deprecated property for time being.
> >
> > Using TBytes as TBookmark everywhere (especially internally in TDataset)
> > probably introduces unnecessary overhead.
>
> Btw, didn't know you use fcl-db as base for MSE.

MSEgui uses db.pas so it is possible to use non MSE DB components in MSEgui
projects.

> If so, please also note
> the other interface related change:
>
> http://wiki.freepascal.org/User_Changes_Trunk

Thanks. The problem with some of the recent "Delphi compatibility" changes is
that it breaks Delphi 7 compatibility. MSEide+MSEgui version 2.6 is
compilable and runs with Delphi 7, a good benchmark for FPC.
BTW, does current Delphi return pointer or tbytes in TDataset.Bookmark?
Does it allow pointer arithmetic with the new TDateset buffer type pbyte?
Delphi 7 can do pointer arithmetic with pchar and pwidechar only.
A side mark: I don't think using the old ansistring as combined binary and
character buffer is such a bad thing. TByte could replace such buffers only
if Pascal string indexing would be zero based. Consequently with all these
changes Delphi string indexes should be zero based too, same as dynamic array

Martin