[Lazarus] Can't compile trunk with fpc 2.4.5 under ubuntu

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Feb 28 08:22:59 CET 2012

On 02/27/2012 09:51 PM, Martin Schreiber wrote:
> A side mark: I don't think using the old ansistring as combined binary
> and character buffer is such a bad thing.

+ 1/2

It would be better to have a type that 1:1 allows for all the well known
string operations, replacing "Character" by "Byte":

MyByte := MyByteString[n]

MyByteString := MyByteString + MyByte;

MyByteString2 := copy(MyByteString, 10, 100);

p:= pos(MyByteString2, MyByteString)

MyByteString := MyByteString + MyByteString2;

In my projects I usually do something like "Type ByteString =
AnsiString" for a future migration :) .

Michael