[Lazarus] What is the most widely used Pascal on Linux and other Unix variants?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 08:23:35 CET 2012

On 28 February 2012 09:02, zeljko <zeljko at ....> wrote:

> While there are updates for K3 + Qt3 support (even I contributed and used
> that) there's another problem: you cannot run K3 on any distro with glibc >=
> 2.4, and that's problem (so it must be at least 6-7 yrs old distro).

I don't really see that as a problem at all. That issue only relates
to the Kylix 3 IDE, not the applications you build with it. I can
still run [and do do so] Kylix 3 built applications on my Ubuntu 10.04
64-bit system. Simply use a VM for Kylix 3 development. I currently
have a Red Hat 9 VM with Kylix 3 Ent setup for exactly that reason.
Hell, Embarcadero is even recommending that for Windows and Mac OS X
development! I know of many Delphi developers that run Linux (or Mac
OS X), but use a Windows VM to run Delphi - simply to get the
stability and virus free environment of Linux when they surf the web
or check emails. It also keeps your development environment in a
pristine condition.

I'm not saying Kylix 3 is still a booming product (it isn't), I'm just
saying that some companies invested heavily in Kylix or CLX
development, and simply can't move away from it.

  - Graeme -