[Lazarus] Can't compile trunk with fpc 2.4.5 under ubuntu

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Feb 28 14:36:24 CET 2012

On 02/28/2012 02:24 PM, Sven Barth wrote:
> This might be, but this shows that we do not need to extend the
> compiler with yet another managed type when all we need is already
> available.

Of course you are quite right, but before the Unicode transition this
was available out of the box as "String" and used in multiple projects,
but after the Unicode this is not so sure.

ANSIString supposedly still can be used, but to me the name "String"
_sounded_ as if no encoding is necessary to be taken into account, and
thus simply storing Bytes is not a bad idea, while ANSIString sounds as
if the encoding has to be ANSI and this is essential for the internal
proceedings. I do know that the contrary is true: "ANSISting" can
happily be used for everything while in Delphi XE "String" imposes one
of several encoding schemes. To me this naming is extremely ambiguous.

-Michael