[Lazarus] Can't compile trunk with fpc 2.4.5 under ubuntu

Martin Schreiber mse00000 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 15:31:18 CET 2012

Am 28.02.2012 16:13, schrieb Sven Barth:
> Am 28.02.2012 15:40, schrieb Hans-Peter Diettrich:
>> Sven Barth schrieb:
>>
>>> Before Delphi 2009 you might have been right, but with that version
>>> Embarcadero did a cut and we now need to adapt and live with that.
>>
>> I dare to disagree. A "ByteString" only requires a dedicated encoding
>> (value), which makes it incompatible with other encodings, and thus
>> disables all conversions. Such an encoding doesn't break Delphi
>> compatibility, but allows to use all stringhandling functions with it.
>
> And instead of introducing yet another type or another special encoding
> we could just leverage the features FPC has today and use TBytes.

Or even better, use FPC 2.6 AnsiString and UnicodeString and drop the
encoding aware FPC 2.7 AnsiString. ;-)

BTW, please have a look into the different string concatenation
compilerproc, it is probably not so easy to model that with equal or
better performance with TBytes and operator overloading. Is it possible
with operator overloading to combine different types?
"
<TBytes>:= <TBytes> + 'stringconstant' + <TBytes> + <AnsiString>;
"

Martin