[Lazarus] Project management

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 23:02:08 CET 2012

2012/2/28 Everton Vieira <tonvieira at gmail.com>

> About the project management is something like the bug tracker but not for
> bugs. With all that richness that has a project management: projects,
> teams, head members, status of it, code already done, code to be
> done, ideas about it, discussions on, notes from everyone, and so on.

This was the best idea so far. I think there is open source project
management programs available. However there is a big difference between
professionally run SW projects and hobby open source projects:

Professional projects in a company environment have a known number of
developers who all will work a known period of time every day.
If you can estimate how many man-hours a certain task will take then you
can divide the tasks and estimate the whole project's development time.

In a hobby project things are different. Nobody can promise exact number of
hours to work on the project. Also, developers often do what they want
based on personal preferences, not following some project manager's orders.
This actually makes it fun to work in an open source project.
Everton, did you consider these things in your suggestion?

It would be mostly a ToDo list with task assignments and maybe time
estimates. In fact the wiki already has such info although it is outdated.

I am still thinking, do you need the project management data for getting a
suitable task for yourself, or is it more like "nice to know"?
It may also be an illusion from your side that contributing code to a big
project becomes easy if only there was a project manager with a nice list
of tasks.
No, you will have to browse and study the existing code for hours and hours
before you start to understand it enough to make intelligent changes.
When you do it, other developers will be very helpful through the mailing
list, I promise. Now you clearly have not even looked at the code.

Juha