[Lazarus] Help needed building a small dictionary application

J.A. de Vries hdv.jadev at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 18:28:49 CET 2012

Hi,

I am not really sure if this type of message is appreciated on this list or
not. I tried looking it up on the Lazarus-site, but didn't find anything on it.
My apologies if you think I shouldn't have sent this.

Quite a few years ago I was a reasonably decent Delphi programmer. But after
my move to Linux-only systems more than a decade ago I stopped using Pascal (I
did try Kylix for a short while). The last couple of years I've been very busy
building my company, so during those years I've had no time for development at
all.

However I am beginning to feel the itch again and would like to pick up where
I left. On top of that I'd also like to give some students of mine a simple
dictionary application for company specific vocabulary. So I thought to combine
both and build it myself. It seemed like a good way to get myself reacquainted
with Pascal and in this case Lazarus. I still think it will be, but I am
getting soacked up in work again and there's a need for the application before
March.

So here's my request: would someone be willing to get me started by building
the basics when given the specs? Basically it concerns a sqlite database with
just three tables (each with four or less fields) and the interface to query
and manipulate them. It doesn't have to look nice. All in all probably not
more than 3 forms will be needed. More detailed specs are available.

I think it will not take more than one or two days for an experienced
programmer and it doesn't have to be a full product. Just something that does
what is needed and enough to get me up and running in a short time. Polishing
the thing later on will be a good learning project for me.

Normally I would have just started and plodded away 'til I had something, but
in this case I am afraid I won't make it in time to have the application
available when the next group of students begins. That's why I would
appreciate someone helping me out.

I am willing to pay for this, as long as the fee is reasonable and the
developer doesn't have any objections to have his code made available under an
OSS license. To me this is not about the code, but about being able to offer a
helpful tool to some people that could use it.

Anyone interested, please contact me directly and off-list.

Sincerely,

HdV