[Lazarus] UTF16 2 utf8

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Mon Jan 30 14:45:12 CET 2012

Eduard Filipas ha scritto:
> as much as i do enjoy your debate what UCS2 is and what is not i still
> dont know how to proceed in my problem where data aware controls dont
> recognize my local characters...

Sort of "the operation was successful, but the patient is dead" ;-)

However, forgetting the nuances, AFAIK what SQL documentation calls UCS2
should have a rough equivalent to the WideString (and WideChar) type in
FPC. Therefore if you store your database strings in WideStrings, they
should be treated and converted properly. Or you may take advantage of
the functions UTF8Encode and UTF8Decode to convert Widestrings back and
forth into UTF-8. But maybe not always 100% correct, from what I can
gather. You must double check that all symbols of your locale are
handled properly. The same sort of problems arises when using php.

--
Giuliano Colla

Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong (O. Wilde)