[Lazarus] Help on FCL?

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Sat Jan 21 20:25:54 CET 2012

Mattias Gaertner schrieb:

>> The fpdoc projects include the commandline arguments needed to parse the
>> units.
>
> Can you give an example file?

You can create such files yourself, using FPC trunk. Start with an fpdoc
commandline, e.g. from FPC docs:
   make rtl.chk  > myrtl.bat
and append to the fpdoc command
   --write-project=myrtl.xml
then run the updated script to create myrtl.xml.

>>> Of course it can not be used for compiling, because for that you need
>>> one lpk per output directory.
>> This must be handled inside the help system. When (application) projects
>> are created, e.g. RTL.lpi and FCL.lpi, there shouldn't exist a need to
>> compile and load according packages into the IDE.
>
> At the moment the IDE can load only one lpi. A lpk can be loaded
> additionally.

Must the lpi be loaded to create documentation, using FPDoc Editor?

>>> The alternative would be to store such dummy packages in the Lazarus
>>> sources, but then it needs conditionals for every FPC version.
>> Version problems may arise, but I don't think that RTL/FCL units are
>> moved around in future versions, so that the projects will stay valid
>> across FPC versions.
>
> They were moved in the past. They will probably move again.

Then beforementioned fpdoc projects would be the better approach,
instead of Lazarus packages.

>> [...]
>>> The IDE passes the information of the unit file name, the fpdoc
>>> element path and the Lazarus package name of the unit to the chm
>>> help database. I don't know what the chm db does with that.
>> Hmm, I'd assume that the supplied package name selects the chm file to
>> load. This requires that the name matches the *fpdoc* package name,
>> regardless of Lazarus package names.
>
> AFAIK the chm viewer loads all chm files. And yes, when the package
> name is 'rtl' it shows something from the rtl.chm. I don't know how the
> chm viewer handles the combined rtl+fcl+lcl.chm file.

Why (and how) would you produce such an combined file?

Actually I run into a number of problems with the CHM files. Only one
directory is accepted, and this entry also is updated when the Options
dialog is left with Cancel. When I copy my additional files (e.g.
lazutils.chm) into the chm help directory, these files are not
recognized by F1. When I open such an file manually, the other files
(e.g. lcl.chm) are no more recognized by the help viewer :-(

I've to wait now until Lazarus again works with FPC 2.7, and I can
continue with my experiments with the FPDocManager...

DoDi