[Lazarus] Help on FCL?

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Thu Jan 26 21:16:14 CET 2012

Marco van de Voort schrieb:

>>  And as far as I
>> know, Lazarus doesn't support WinHelp format, but maybe a similar
>> trick can be applied as was done for HyperHelp.
>
> Winhelp is RTF based.

That should not be a problem, IMO nowadays HTML with CSS offers the same
support - except for platform specific items like calling DLL functions.

Microsoft had more problems with Word, where every new version created
differently buggy RTF, so that a new help compiler was required for
every new version of Word :-]

>> But to be honest, there are so many incompatibilities and differing
>> behaviours between Delphi and Lazarus, that I don't really know how
>> useful the VCL or CLX help will be. Reading the recent message
>> threads, it seems they can't even agree how to compile and package the
>> little LCL help content that is there.
>
> It still gets the primary gist. But I prefer to get such info from public
> sources on the internet, and not directly from Embarcadero sources.

IMO D7 help still is the most complete and reliable Delphi
documentation, it's only slightly outdated after introduction of Unicode
strings, generics etc.  Embarcadero missed to import these contents into
the new HTML (HH2) help system, which had to be choosen for including
help on/from .NET.

DoDi