[Lazarus] Help on FCL?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Jan 27 10:30:42 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 09:16:14PM +0100, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> >> know, Lazarus doesn't support WinHelp format, but maybe a similar
> >> trick can be applied as was done for HyperHelp.
> >
> > Winhelp is RTF based.
>
> That should not be a problem, IMO nowadays HTML with CSS offers the same
> support - except for platform specific items like calling DLL functions.

.... and so did latex 15 years ago, but we still struggle today to convert them
into eachother :-)

Two languages having capabilities and automatic convertability into
eachother are totally different problems.. (another example: C headers and
Pascal)

> > It still gets the primary gist. But I prefer to get such info from public
> > sources on the internet, and not directly from Embarcadero sources.
>
> IMO D7 help still is the most complete and reliable Delphi
> documentation, it's only slightly outdated after introduction of Unicode
> strings, generics etc.  Embarcadero missed to import these contents into
> the new HTML (HH2) help system, which had to be choosen for including
> help on/from .NET.

If you still use D7, then probably yes :-). If you don't ( and I haven't for
a long time), it is outdated.  So say for instance you are doing simple
stuff like splitting a string into pieces and you run into the "space is
always separator problem".  The D7 help won't tell you that got finally
fixed in D2006 with a strictdelimiter property :-)