[Lazarus] Help on FCL?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Fri Jan 27 12:48:22 CET 2012

Mattias Gaertner wrote:

>> I usually build Lazarus from source, downloading from svn. Nowhere there
>> does it say anything about docs-chm, or it certainly said nothing when I
>> started working like that four or five years ago.
>>
>> So I go to http://www.freepascal.org/ and there's online documentation,
>> or PDFs etc. Nothing to integrate with Lazarus.
>
> True. "Integration" is not the goal of this kind of documentation.

But I'm tempted to say that it should be the goal of the IDE. In fact
now that I think about it...

>> So I go to http://lazarus.freepascal.org/. There's no online
>> documentation.
>
> It's called "Wiki".

One suggestion if I may. The target URL of the IDE's "Help -> Online
Help" menu entry doesn't have to be the same as that put up on the
website. It might be useful if the target page were to display a choice:

*  Stable online documentation for the version of FPC/Lazarus detected.

*  Suggestions as to how one of the available viewers can be set up to
use these files locally.

*  A pointer to somewhere- a (not necessarily the) wiki- where
documentation is currently being edited so that a user can see if there
has been recent clarification of something that's giving him problems.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk