[Lazarus] Help on FCL?

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Sat Jan 28 09:18:29 CET 2012

Mattias Gaertner schrieb:

>> Or the other way round: what makes the FPDoc Editor look into the right
>> directory, when no explicit path is given?
>
> The search works as following:
> First it searches for the declaration of the identifier.
> Then it searches for the owner of the unit (e.g. a package)
> If the package has a fpdoc path, an unitname.xml is searched.
> Finally if the global fpdoc path is set, an unitname.xml is searched
> there.

What's the "global fpdoc path"?

> The hint and fpdoc editor searches for the ancestors of the
> identifier too.
>
> Hint: Update to 34980 and you can now see which fpdoc file is used in
> the source editor / popup menu / open file. If there is no xml file,
> then no fpdoc file was found.

A good idea for help writers :-)

> ToDo: implement something to use the docs of a newer Lazarus Version
> and newer package versions, where the units may have different owners
> and paths. Maybe a file with a list of some information like:
> for the ideintf.lpk version 1.0.0 to 1.0.2, use fpdoc search path xyz,
> and a list of unit aliases.
> The IDE should be able to load several of these files, so that third
> party packages can use that feature too.

For units inside the Lazarus directory all package documentation could
reside in subdirectories of docs/, by default. Projects and third-party
packages could use a docs/ subdirectory of the directory containing the
package/project file. IMO users would be happy with such a default
search path, before they start to invent their own locations.

What about translations? I've asked this question already, some time
ago, with no response. There seem to exist no activities to translate
the Lazarus docs?

DoDi