[Lazarus] RE : RE : RE : LCL and custom keyboard layouts

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Sat Jan 28 21:27:08 CET 2012

Ludo Brands wrote:
>> Although setxkbmap assumes that somebody with admin rights has set up
>> the appropriate files: I'm fairly certain that there's not a standard
>> one for APL (which is, at best, a minority interest). You can
>> do a bit
>> with xmodmap, but things rapidly start getting messy: X has
>> been rather
>> halfhearted in its embrace of Unicode.
>>

> These guys did it :
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2011-March/1267379.html. Cut
> and paste ;)

Except that that's /not/ Unicode at the application level, it's 8-bit
KAPL encoding. This whole area is somewhat messy, since most APL
implementations- not to mention the software that they execute- go back
to the days of Selectrics and EBCDIC card punches. Apart from the things
I've been tinkering with over the last few weeks the only other
implementation that I know is based on UTF-8 is Paraplegic
http://code.google.com/p/paraplegic/, the rest are mired in backwards
compatibility issues.

You probably didn't notice that a few weeks ago I asked whether FPC
could handle things like ⍴ as a function name. At the time I was
wondering whether APL's functionality could be supplied as Pascal
functions, I've got various numeric analysis jobs where a fusion of APL
and a grid containing the result of a database query could be very useful.

I've found a couple of possible issues relating to Unicode handling in
(Sorokin's) TRegExpr and in TStringList, I'll try to get them reported
with test code over the next few days now that I've got the bulk of the
parser/evaluator out of the way, and before I start on the Lazarus app
with probable refactoring.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk