[Lazarus] Lazarus helpfiles

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Tue Jul 10 13:33:01 CEST 2012

Reinier Olislagers <reinierolislagers at gmail.com> hat am 10. Juli 2012 um 12:27
geschrieben:

> On 10-7-2012 12:03, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>[...]
> >> I suggest that the Kylix-related stuff in
> >> http://wiki.freepascal.org/Installing_Help_in_the_IDE would actually be
> >> better on a page of its own, or moved right to the bottom of that one.
> >
> > I think you are confusing the topic of that wiki page. It doesn't say
> > FPC or LCL specific help, it says installing "help in the IDE" - thus
> > any help files that the developer would find useful.
> While that may be true, a focus in the page on installing FPC+LCL help
> does make sense as that is the help for the Lazarus IDE and programming
> language.

The Kylix help files are not available to every one. IMO the items available to
every one should come first.

> > [...]Some find the INF help files much
> > more convenient and faster. Some like CHM, and others like HTML. That
> > wiki page is meant to describe how to install any such help file
> > support in the Lazarus IDE.

True.

> IIRC, you asked Lazarus developers a good question some months ago: is
> there a standard help format and help viewer?
> Again, IIRC, at that time the answer was: no, you can choose whichever
> viewer you want.

About standard help format:
For sources fpdoc is currently pretty much the standard.
Nowadays it supports topics.

> Meanwhile, lhelp has been included in the bigide build - tacitly
> answering your question now with "the default help is lhelp/chm".

lhelp has the lowest dependencies. It needs only one lazbuild call.
I improved a few things in chmhelppkg to make it more user friendly.

> Obviously, now Lazarus should be set up to take advantage of the
> inclusion of lhelp and provide chm help set up out of the box (as I'm
> sure people are working on).

It is still difficult to build all chm files. To be more exact: building the chm
files is easy, building the input for the chm files is difficult. I guess the
inf files have the same problem.
The next rpm/deb packages will contain lhelp and some chm files.

Mattias