[Lazarus] Building help files: the nitty-gritty

Žilvinas Ledas zilvinas.ledas at dict.lt
Tue Jul 10 20:41:11 CEST 2012

Hello,

On 2012-07-10 20:40, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> But what is the source help format for CHM, and what tools
>> (help editor) do I use to edit that source format, and what tool do I
>> use to "compile" that source help format into the end result CHM file?
>> Also, how does my product know where to find LHelp (or whatever CHM
>> viewer I want to use)?
>
> [Nod] I suspect that we're not the only people asking for guidance.

fpc has chm "compiler" classes to make CHM files.
TChmProject is in chmfilewriter unit and TChmWriter is in chmwriter unit
(both in packages\chm\src\).
And there even is a GUI app to make chm files somewhere in Lazarus or
fpc examples :) I don't remember where exactly, because I did make my
own chm help maker application (it took about a day using existing chm
writing functionality) before I discovered that existing one. BTW I
posted my chm maker (app with sources) about two years ago on this (or
fpc) list ;)

Regarding LHelp - I myself package LHelp executable with the main app
and help files so I know that LHelp is besides main app.
You can register your help format system-wide and install LHelp in a
different place from your app - as with any other file viewer your app
may need :)

Regards,
Žilvinas