[Lazarus] Building help files: the nitty-gritty

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Jul 11 09:36:48 CEST 2012

On 07/10/2012 05:12 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> If you are referring to the help viewer, then again, that is where
> LHelp lags behind. DocView allows you to annotate (add inline
> comments) any INF files. Those annotations are stored in a separate
> file (<helpfile>.notes), which you can move around or copy with the
> INF file to a new computer if you want. LHelp has no such functionality.

Hmm. While I personally agree, that DocView in many aspects has a lot
advantages, referring to the *big* discussion on that we had in this
forum, I had the impression, that the "powers" decided, that - if any
work is dedicated to improving the help system - that should be done for
a (rather new) method that allows to use (online) Wikis as a source for
offline files providing the advantage that there is a rather
standardized and commonly accepted and ubiquitously available way to
have users improve the help content.

I don't know how far this idea is advanced (e.g. regarding providing
search capability across multiple help "chapters") right now and which
and how offline help content files can already generated that way.

-Michael