[Lazarus] Lazarus helpfiles

Lukasz Sokol el.es.cr at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 10:53:59 CEST 2012

On 10/07/2012 17:46, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 15:14:09 +0100 Lukasz Sokol <el.es.cr at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> [...] Well, I didn't dare to propose this for 3 reasons : - chm
>> package is 16.3MB, adding to already heavy 78.8MB lazarus installer
>> exe, not cool for some people who are bandwidth-challenged; If the
>> plain-text html is the same content, that could be included by
>> default, possibly.
>
> The chms are basically the compressed html files. The offline help
> was requested for users with limited bandwidth.

If the point of CHM is that they use less disk space than unpacked HTML,
(yeah, I see the point : lcl.chm 11.577MB, fcl.chm 1.968MB, vs unpacked
HTML files that use 187MB) then I'd include this information somewhere
on the wiki...

(e.g. see my latest edits to the 'Installing Help in the IDE page' - I wanted
it to have some short and clear even if it does repeat itself, )

[...]
> There are no plans for documentation upgrades for releases.

OK, so that's one less point of hesitation.

> AFAIK debian does that. But the packages on the official download
> site (sourceforge) should be only a few files to download. Ideally:
> only one per platform.

Yeah, debian/ubuntu among others. We don't want to miss being included
in Debian do we ;) by not complying to their policies :J

>> Oh and one more p from me : ++ default windows (xp) system
>> installation does not include a program that can open .tar.bz2,
>> please consider adding other options...?
>
> Yes, that should be zip.

Thanks :)

> Mattias

(how do you insert footnotes within wiki section...)

Lukasz.