[Lazarus] Building help files: the nitty-gritty

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 12:49:28 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 18 July 2012 10:48, Michael Schnell <mschnell at lumino.de> wrote:
> Do you know the state of that project ? I suppose before deciding about any

I know Mattias started work on a tool that extracts the help content
directly from the wiki pages. I have not followed that project so I
have no clue as to the status of it, but I would guess it is somewhere
inside the Lazarus project if you want to take a look.

> other improvement for the help system - that of course needs to be based on

Please note, that the discussion some months back was about help for
the RTL, FCL, LCL, FPC Language Reference etc to be used by the
Lazarus IDE - to help developers with programming and API information.
What I was talking about in this message thread is "application help".
Integrating CHM help into your own applications, giving your end-users
context sensitive help for your product. So far I have heard that
integrating CHM help into your own LCL-based applications are not
possible, and that nobody here actually seems to ship help files with
their own applications. I guess I'm the only exception to that rule.

The following URL is exactly what I am talking about, but as I said,
it only describes HTML help (lots of HTML files located in a folder),
and has limited help abilities.

   http://wiki.freepascal.org/Add_Help_to_Your_Application

I had a look at the chmhelp package include with Lazarus, to see if I
could follow the same guideline as mentioned in the above wiki page.
But the chmhelp package depends on the IDE (CodeTools, IDEInterface
etc), so as far as I can see, it can't be used in general LCL-based
applications.

  - Graeme -