[Lazarus] Cannot connect Firebird server

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Jul 26 09:59:46 CEST 2012

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 25 July 2012 11:40,  <michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be> wrote:
>>
>> Then, try adding
>>   InitialiseIBase60('fbclient.dll');
>> as the first line in your program source.
>

> Why do you need that? All my tiOPF based apps, and tiOPF itself
> doesn't contain such a line, yet I connect to Firebird without
> problems.
>
> Just curious, as this is the first time I hear about that function call.

The call is implicit when you connect to firebird for the first time with SQLDB.
It loads the library, and then loads all entry points it finds.

It just means that in your case, the library is always correctly found.
(which is a good thing)

You might need the call if the default load sequence is not to your liking.
I think it first tries embedded, then FB and finally Interbase.

if you want to force interbase on a system where also Firebird is installed,
then you would put a

  InitialiseIBase60('gds32.dll');

at the start.

I use this for instance to switch between embedded and full client/server.
The earliest versions of fbembed did not support connecting to a remote database.

Michael.