[Lazarus] Cannot connect Firebird server

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Jul 26 10:25:15 CEST 2012

Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 25 July 2012 11:40,  <michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be> wrote:
>>>
>>> Then, try adding
>>>   InitialiseIBase60('fbclient.dll');
>>> as the first line in your program source.
>>

>> Why do you need that? All my tiOPF based apps, and tiOPF itself
>> doesn't contain such a line, yet I connect to Firebird without
>> problems.
>>
>> Just curious, as this is the first time I hear about that function call.
>
> The call is implicit when you connect to firebird for the first time
> with SQLDB.
> It loads the library, and then loads all entry points it finds.
>
> It just means that in your case, the library is always correctly found.
> (which is a good thing)

Importantly, I think that all of the database packages have now been
updated to allow the location of the library to be passed as a
parameter, which means that a privileged user no longer has to set up
symlinks etc.

Grepping the case of PostgreSQL, it appears that this was introduced in
2.6.0 (what I wrote earlier was pessimistic, I should have checked the
current release).

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk