[Lazarus] Building help files: the nitty-gritty

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 21:52:16 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 28 July 2012 19:06, Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com> wrote:

> Isn't Kylix Help free now, with openKylix?

Kylix Open Edition was available for free since 2001 when Kylix 1 was
release. Every edition and version of Kylix included the help files as
standard.

> You are allowed to use it, but not to distribute it.

Yes.

> In fact the LCL should have been based on the CLX, where many cross-platform
> issues have been removed

I agree 100% here.

> - but the CLX was published only much later.

I don't know the exact timings... When did Lazarus start? I have heard
10 years ago, so that would have made it the same time as what Kylix 1
was released.

> Furthermore I'm convinced that a portable GUI, based on a mix of native
> controls, is a beast and a waste of time.

+1
Each native widgetset has different features, do things differently,
looks different etc. So there is no way you can get a 100% single
source project based on such diversity - unless you only stick with
the lowest common denominator - thus crippling your "cross platform"
toolkit extensively. It's amazing LCL has gotten as far as it did -
but also explains why it only attracts hobbyist programmer projects.

> I had preferred to use fpGUI or mseGUI instead of the
> LCL, but the according frameworks (IDE...) didn't match my expectations.

fpGUI doesn't dictate what IDE you must use. I use both Lazarus IDE &
MSEide to develop fpGUI or my fpGUI-based applications. You are free
to even use Notepad, if you think that will make you more productive.
:-)

Anyway, we are getting a bit sidetracked here.

  - Graeme -