[Lazarus] OpenSUSE KDE keeps stealing my IDE shortcuts

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Mon Jul 30 15:27:49 CEST 2012

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been forcefully pushed to change Linux Distros (from Ubuntu to
> OpenSUSE). I've been running the very stable Ubuntu 10.04 LTS for very
> long. But I recently upgraded to a new system, and 10.04 seems to lack
> some hardware support. The latest (K)Ubuntu 12.04 is damn unstable
> (random total system freezes - the mouse doesn't even move), and I
> absolutely hate the Unity interface. Gnome 3 is no better.
> Unfortunately switching the desktop to something like JWM doesn't help
> because of the system freezes - which seems to be a unstable OS
> (kernel) issue.
>
> So I'm trying OpenSUSE 12.1 (64-bit), and so far the OS is stable, but
> KDE is still something to get used to. Anyway, to get to the point. I
> have installed (copied) all my old development folders to the new
> system, and setup FPC as I normally had it. Compiling Lazarus IDE, and
> my other projects works as expected.
>
> What is happening though, is that KDE (I think) is stealing my
> keyboard shortcuts, so they don't work in Lazarus IDE (compiled with
> LCL-GTK2) or MSEide for that matter. eg; Ctrl+F4 to close an editor
> file doesn't work, and I am forced to use the mouse.
>
> Anybody know where in KDE do I look for global keyboard shortcuts, so
> I can disable Ctrl+F4 usage in KDE? I've already looked in "System
> Settings -> Shortcuts and Gestures", and searched for Ctrl+F4, but
> nowhere do I see an existing entry.  Where else can I look? Does this
> happen to other KDE users too?

Here it is 'System settings - Computer Administration - Keyboard & Mouse - Standard Keyboard Shortcuts'
(or global keyboard shortcuts).

Surprised to hear you have problems with Kubuntu 12.04.
I run it myself, didn't experience any problems, my laptop is up and running since months.

Maybe a problem with the X drivers ?
I never use the 'recommended' nvidia drivers, always a previous version.

Michael.