[Lazarus] newbie questions

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Fri Jun 1 15:00:52 CEST 2012

Marco Ciampa schrieb:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 12:28:40PM +0200, Dave Coventry wrote:
>> Hi Marco,
>>
>> Lazarus is still pretty close to Delhi and I still use the help files
>> that came with my Delphi 3 installation for reference.
>
> Too bad. So for Lazarus use I have to study (and buy!) Delphi first...
> very strange situation for a free software. I understand why it is so
> but ... maybe a free documentation project could rightly fit here...

Hit F1?

FPC comes with its own documentation tool FPDoc, and pretty informative
online help. You also can (should?) install FPC help for offline
reading, e.g. in CHM format.

The Lazarus IDE now shows the help entries for every identifier under
the mouse. This is achieved by presenting the help sources in raw
format. When you open the FPDocEditor window in the IDE, you can see and
also edit the LCL help entries.

While help on FPC (language, RTL, FCL...) is very nice, help on Lazarus
and LCL is very rudimentary. That's why Delphi Help is usually
recommended for Lazarus, it covers the common topics better. LCL
specific extensions and modifications traditionally are undocumented,
the few exceptions are frequently outdated, and leave more questions
than answers.

DoDi