[Lazarus] Some questions on Unicode wiki page

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 10:12:00 CEST 2012

On 23-6-2012 0:40, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 11:03:56AM +0200, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
>> What is a widestring?
>
> On Windows and FPC 2.4+? COM compatible UTF16. (UCS2 on win2000).
>
> On the 2.4, and 2.6. non Windows  and  general FPC 2.2-, plain UTF16. (aka Kylix widestring).
Thanks, updated
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Widestrings

>> - No Unicode support on Win9x section
>> "Windows platforms <=Win9x [..] only partially support Unicode"
>> however:
<snip>
>> Presumably not all *A functions are available as *W functions on Win9x,
>> which is why Unicode is not fully supported?
>
> Afaik that is again win9x+unicode extensions(unicows) AND a suitable adapted
> RTL, not default win9x.
So my supposition was correct: Win9x (however spruced up) does not
support all *W functions.

Hearing about this reinforces my opinion that patches that work on
everything except Win9x should be applied and that people wanting to
support Win9x should commit workarounds themselves if available....
(Looking at you, bug 21659)

Thanks,
Reinier