[Lazarus] Project management

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Thu Mar 1 16:22:39 CET 2012

Martin Schreiber schrieb:

> I experience the same from time to time in MSEide+MSEgui project. People
> complain missing documentation and write if there were good
> documentation tools (which actually means if I would make them) they and
> other users would write documentation.

Tools are not a replacement for content :-(

> Don't believe such statements, it is not true. The mentioned Lufdoc from
> Lars is such a good tool for user contributed source documentation, it
> exists since a long time. AFAIK there is not a single Lufdoc
> contribution from MSEde+MSEgui users other than Lars.

Searching the *web* returns only a few Lufdoc pages, with almost no
content. This indidicates to me that the tool has never been used for
any purpose, except demonstrating that it is there. MakeSkel can be used
for that job as well.

> The only thing what would happen if you or me would build the perfect
> documentation tool is that they would use that tools in their projects...
> People who are willing to work on documentation are able to work with
> existing possibilities or improve the tools oneself.

ACK

But as mentioned above, what result can be expected when writing
documentation is considered the task of *unrelated* people, which have
nothing but undocumented source code as a starting point?

You (and others) seem to believe that there exist people, which are both
able to understand the undocumented code of others, *and* are able to
document it in a reasonable way, *and* find it more fun to write
documentation for others (and for free!), instead of writing their own
code. A very realistic assumption, indeed :-(

DoDi