[Lazarus] Contribute to a book instead of wiki?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 20:47:24 CET 2012

On 03/03/2012, Alexsander Rosa <alexsander.rosa at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem with "secretary's editors" like MS Word or Open/LibreOffice is
> that they waste user's time with formatting and other non-content related
> activities. With LaTeX and derivatives such as LyX, the user is free to be
> productive. When I was working on my MSc paper, ages ago, I wrote some 40
> pages in two months on Word, then converted it to LyX and created 40 more
> pages in just one week.

I have used LaTeX and OpenOffice many many
published articles and technical papers, project
specifications etc.

I can honestly say, in my experience LaTeX just
made me slower. I had to fight to figure out how
to get certain text to display correctly, because
it was constantly some or other reserved LaTeX
tag some something.

As for OpenOffice. I have created years ago
various templates for all the different type of
documents I need. They are all designed with Styles.
So no, I don't have to think about formatting
either, just what is the structure I am currenty
typing, and apply the correct (already available
style to it). My documents are well layed out and
formatted, with very little effort from my end.
I tend to write articles in 2 days (evenings really) and
they normally consist of so 11-18 pages.
Writting speed (meaning getting content from your
head to the computer / paper) is not affected by
the editor you use. Well, not in my case. I write
paragraphs as I think of ideas. Then once done,
I go back and rearrange chapters, paragraphs etc
and double click on the relevent Style to apply them.

I guess each writter works differently.

Regards,
  Graeme.