[Lazarus] Contribute to a book instead of wiki?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Mar 3 21:37:54 CET 2012

On Sat, 3 Mar 2012, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 03/03/2012, Alexsander Rosa <alexsander.rosa at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The problem with "secretary's editors" like MS Word or Open/LibreOffice is
>> that they waste user's time with formatting and other non-content related
>> activities. With LaTeX and derivatives such as LyX, the user is free to be
>> productive. When I was working on my MSc paper, ages ago, I wrote some 40
>> pages in two months on Word, then converted it to LyX and created 40 more
>> pages in just one week.
>>

> I have used LaTeX and OpenOffice many many
> published articles and technical papers, project
> specifications etc.
>
> I can honestly say, in my experience LaTeX just
> made me slower. I had to fight to figure out how
> to get certain text to display correctly, because
> it was constantly some or other reserved LaTeX
> tag some something.

I believe that.

You should let latex worry about displaying the text correctly.

If you want everything placed just there with just that width
and whatnot, then LaTeX is indeed not your tool, you need a desktop
publishing tool.

I type text, and latex makes a layout that is 99% perfect;
I really don't care about the last 1%.
I've never been able to achieve the same speed with any wordprocessor.

Michael.